View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Trivium...and sometimes Mastodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Love them both.
Let's not forget Machine Head here. Major player in NWOAHM

I'm also very open to the term "metal" so bands like Slipknot I love and will consitter a part of the new wave.
Not to nitpick but Machine Head, chronologically speaking, definitely isn't even close to being part of NWOAHM. Their first (and probably best) major label album came out in like, '94. That's like calling Fear Factory or even Pantera NWOAHM. :) By the late nineties they had completely sold out and became a rap-metal band. Their recent work has been pretty decent though, a return to their roots of sorts. Why Rob Flynn started rapping is beyond me--wait, it's because it was $$$ at the time.

I can't get into Mastodon. They remind a lot of Clutch, who I also can't get into. It's just not interesting to me, just kind of "blah."

Trivium is pretty good really--Shogun is many times better than the Crusade, their attempt at recreating the Black Album (which I don't know why they'd want to do anyway).

Lamb of God is a pretty obvious choice for one of the movement's finest. Ashes is my personal favorite album. I also LOVE Killswitch Engage. A lot of people consider them kind of pussified, but I think they write extremely melodic and catchy songs that don't ever get "poppy".

Amon Amarth isn't really NWOAHM, but they still rule. Death metal for people who don't like death metal.