View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I love this clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I think you are being naiive. Just because one woman has been signed from coming on BGT who isn't the best looking, you think that somehow that signals a change in the entire music industry from being shallow and sex driven, to being proper talent making real music, regardless of looks? I don't think so..
No, I am not being naive. You seem not to be able to comprehend that you are stating the obvious. The whole reason why this is an issue is because of the way the industry is and the way historically woman have been treated in the industry. You also don't seem to understand that you are not thinking out of the contraints of your own value system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Great point. I kept thinking of Janis too while reading this thread. KD Lang is another amazing talent that comes to mind.

A lot of blame seems to get heaped on the music industry and certainly some of it is deserved, but I tend to look more at the public that is actually spending the money. If they didn't speak with those dollars then maybe the industry wouldn't be what it is. I don't have the power to control everything the music industry does but I do control where my money is spent and I'm careful to support what I consider to be good artists.

Maybe it's kind of like the papparazzi that everyone loves to hate. They get portrayed as parasites feeding off of invading celebrity's privacy, but would they be doing that if millions of people weren't wasting their money on ridiculous tabloids?
I was thinking of KD as well, and there are a whole host of woman in the lesbain community who would fit that bill, and woman buy the product. In the days of Holly Near and Meg Christian, the idea of a woman in music was still a bit taboo never mind a lesbian. What about a person with a disabiltiy, a person with autism, Parkinson's?

So is it the pubilc or is it the media, or is it the industry. It's a great question. It reminds me of the line in The American President where the asst, Michael J. Fox, says that people drink sand in the desert because nobody is offering them water, and The prez, Michael Douglas, says "they drink the sand because they don't know the difference."

I think you need to have creative marketing. It would be nice if the the industry were socially responsible. Why in this day and age have we not cultivated the value that enterprises need to have a sense of social responsibilty? From where I am standing, that seems to be a given.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 04-16-2009 at 08:49 AM.