View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gimmick Devices for Your Car

From the time that we are small children we are subject to advertising influences. Remember when you had to have those sneakers because you would be able to run your fastest and jump your highest? Women in the US spend a billion dollars a year on cosmetics that make your wrinkles disappear! It's not our fault. It is just a trait that makes us human. We want to believe that good things will happen if we obtain this product. We also have the need to trust others. The same traits that make us warm, friendly people are what these predators capitalize on. They also use our need to be successful to sell us their snake oil. When economic times are bad we are more vulnerable! We need a small miracle! That is why people fall harder for product fraud when times are hard.
When I tell my customers that these products don't work they will not take no for an answer. They forget that I have been repairing cars for thirty-five years! They forget that I have been working on their cars for over twenty years. They are simply in denial that they were taken in by a scam when they ordered that air intake tube and cone shaped air filter.