View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Creativity Discouraged in Today's Popular Music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic View Post
Yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying. I'm 19, so I guess when I look at the evolution of mainstream music I only see the greats since I wasn't around to see all of the dime a dozen pop artists. Even still, I feel like so few artists that have experienced major commercial success today are really unique. I can only think of a few artists from the 90's and 2000's that had a special/unique sound and also put a dent in the pop charts... Beck, The White Stripes, Radiohead, and I would say Nirvana but I don't think they were as original as people give them credit for.

I just feel like the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even 80's were so rich with new and creative sounds.

Maybe it's too much to ask for another Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin...

And by the way, I would love to hear Steely Dan in an elevator rather than a muzakified version of the Girl From Ipanema or other beloved standards of mine :).
Well there's no denying that creativity is discouraged, nobody wants anything to do with music that they aren't 100% sure will make money, that makes it really difficult. More creative artists get no press and are much harder to come by. it's a vicious cycle but it's the way of the world, people willing to stumble outside of the box often find themselves starving and naked. If you're looking for creativity, stay away from most all popular music.