View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Creativity Discouraged in Today's Popular Music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic View Post
Yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying. I'm 19, so I guess when I look at the evolution of mainstream music I only see the greats since I wasn't around to see all of the dime a dozen pop artists. Even still, I feel like so few artists that have experienced major commercial success today are really unique. I can only think of a few artists from the 90's and 2000's that had a special/unique sound and also put a dent in the pop charts... Beck, The White Stripes, Radiohead, and I would say Nirvana but I don't think they were as original as people give them credit for.

I just feel like the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even 80's were so rich with new and creative sounds.

Maybe it's too much to ask for another Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin...

And by the way, I would love to hear Steely Dan in an elevator rather than a muzakified version of the Girl From Ipanema or other beloved standards of mine :).

Personally, I think that playing the Dan in elavators is a terrible idea! I'd never be able to get off! Or at the very least, creep a load of people out, by singing along to elevator music at the top of my lungs...!

*cough* Anyway... your point is one that has been made thousands, if not millions of times, and unfortunately, the situation seems to getting much, much worse.
Take the current musically retarded, "star" in the UK, "Lady GaGa". Pop "artists" these days do not appear to need any star quality at all - the woman in question appears to be a massively average young person who has been plucked off the street at random by some big record label, been given a silly hair cut and thrust into some big budget videos, and then sorted out with a ton of pitch correction technology. Bam, there ya go.
At least Britney Spears for example, much as I dislike her music, had a clear "back story". It seems that she and her family worked very hard for her role in pop culture. I miss good pop music. I wish we would be spoon fed Michael Jackson on the radio, Instead of this hyper-processed, assault on the senses that we get today.