View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Creativity Discouraged in Today's Popular Music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Time has done its task: the exceptional music has stayed afloat while the horde of horrible bands and so called artists have sunk into oblivion. In a couple of decades people will probably say that the 2000's was a golden era of pop music.
Yeah, I kind of feel like some of what I'm feeling is nostalgia (even though I wasn't around). At the same time, when is the last time there was any real innovation in pop music? The last time we saw something new before Nirvana was probably rap in the eighties. It seems like there was a much wider variety of pop music in other eras. And sure, they had to put up with disco, hair metal, and loads of imitators, but it seems like there was so much more innovation and creativity. The last few years of the 60's alone had Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, the Doors, and Jefferson Airplane. I know that a lot of that was because of the open-minded free spirited attitude of the time, but any one of those bands completely dwarfs anything we've seen in the 90's and 2000's as far as creativity and innovation in the pop charts.