Thread: Jojo Mayer
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Jojo Mayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Jojo Mayer is one of the most important drummers of the past 20 years, and maybe the most technically proficient. He's an amazing performer, a natural educator, a role model---the whole nine yards.

But is it OK to just say enough already, without that seeming like a terrible thing? Has Jojo Mayer really become...yes, the Chuck Norris of drumming? Are all teachers now obsolete because of a single DVD, interpreted on this and other forums 1000 different ways? Does Jojo's getting up in the morning really mean that Vinnie C, Brian Blade, Ari H, Jack DeJohnette and Gadd have to go back to bed? Does the mere mention of the name Jojo Mayer singlehandedly accelerate the cause of world peace while making all the flowers in springtime seem just a little brighter?

Is this Jojo Mayer's intention? Well I don't know him, but I did get to interact with him briefly at NAMM, and he seemed like one of the nicest guys in the world, and as self effacing as they come. I just don't think this unquestioning hero loving madness is his MO. And I'm not so sure this stuff will work to his benefit in a future time, when people who really aren't paying that much attention, start looking for another flavor.

That would be a shame for this remarkable man, because a legacy such as his should be remembered for a long time.
Matt, I'm always impressed with your posts, you have such a great way with words.

Anyway... I think you do have a point there... Jojo made a great product, and unfortunately a lot have misinterpreted it completely; he's now known by many only as a technical phenomenon, a master of his limbs - not as an artist, a musician. One DVD will never make teachers obsolete - I can't think of one thing my snare teacher has taught me that has buried it self deep into my conscience and revolutionized my playing, but my playing has improved massively overall; It's the little things, the stickings, the phrasing, the stick heights, the little comments that all added up to boost my ability. No DVD has given me that thus far.

I agree, I think some people (myself thoroughly included) appear to be going at least slightly OTT with the Jojo appreciation, but of course as wonderfully versatile as he is, Jojo will never be mistaken for Vinnie, Tony or Steve (etc.) and his achievements can, should and will never bring down the legends from their well deserved place in the limelight.

For me though, Jojo will always find a way to make me smile. He may never be extremely well known and initiated into "the scene", but he is my number one inspiration. Steve Gadd inspired thousands, perhaps millions in his prime when he burst onto the scene. Many dissect his phrases, try to replicate what he does and just worship him in general; Jojo is my Steve Gadd in that sense.

If Steve was to switch places with Jojo, Steve being the rising star, and Jojo being debatably the most influential drummer of all time, would anyone have problem with Jojo worship? Should fame dictate how well a person is respected by individuals like myself?