Thread: Jojo Mayer
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Jojo Mayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsman38 View Post
I've got nothing but an incredible amount of respect for Colaiuta and Chambers...and Rich, Weckl, Williams, etc etc etc and while I wouldn't say I'm a scholar on the best drummers, Jojo is truly a wonderkind. Colaiuta has massive chops and technique but I can't say that he makes me want to move in the groove like Jojo's playing does. Chambers has that swagger, groove plus fantastic chops but doesn't seem to be as truly versatile with the same level of dexterity and nimbleness that Jojo has in my opinion. Marco Minneman is a drummer that I think is pushing the envelope too but still Jojo is monstrously versatile with his incredible chops. He finds the groove and is tasteful even when he's throwing down some insane polyrhythmic 4 limbed hydra beat. The only thing I haven't seen Mayer do is pure metal. I have no doubt he can do it but I've never heard him try.
I'm with you there my friend, and I am happy to report that Jojo was in many speed metal bands in the 80's, and If you check out one of the DW videos of him playing in switzerland recently, you can see him play a damn fine blast beat!
If you find some of his material (eg: the 1995 album by the Screaming Headless Torsos) he sounds SO SO much like Vinnie. There are a lot of Vinnie wannabes out there, but when Jojo went through his Vinnie phase, he really studied every little aspect of his playing. I swear if you closed your eyes you'd think it was Vinnie!