View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

NAME:
Benny Greb: The Language of Drumming

STAR RATING:
# # # # # #

WORDED RATING:
The usefulness of the concepts in this DVD are amazing, it touches on aspects that many drummers sadly do not notice and the material in the DVD will help anyone.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Everyone

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson

DESCRIPTION:
Benny structures this DVD to start from the foundation right up to combining all aspects of playing. The system he has created is like a language in that drumming is made up of letters, then those letters can be put together to create words and then sentences. This may sound like some sort of typical analogy you may hear but this DVD is not typical.

This isn't a DVD that throws a few patterns at you or licks for you to learn. The exercises are EXTREMELY flexible and can be made as easy or as complex as you want on the kit. It is hard to explain but the amount of useful content you can get from this DVD is amazing.

Benny demonstrates almost all of the exercises he mentions. He also talks about timing, exploring different sound sources and other essential aspects to improve your musicality.

The visual quality of the DVD deserves a mention as it definitely makes the footage more interesting to look at.

Benny has performances in between some sections with a fantastic solo at the end. There is also a PDF file on one disc that has some of the exercises explained or written out. There is also some bonus material on the second DVD with tour footage and other miscellaneous videos.

I have only seen this DVD once and so I can't think of everything I just saw right now, but I can truly say that it was worth my $80 that it cost me to get.