View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Would it not be cool if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. While I realize that when you close your eyes you free up considerable brain power that was being used for vision, allowing you to become more creative and less inhibited, it's a bad habit to get in to (my opinion) On stage, you need all your wits and seeing everything is key to that. I remember attending open mics where the guitar player was trying to point out accents to the drummer, and the drummers eyes were closed, he was lost in his own mind, and he looked like a smacked *** for not being aware. (No I wasn't the drummer ha ha) You can anticipate pauses in a soloists solo if you watch them close, you can make eye contact with the crowd (it looks good to be bright eyed and engaged in the situation), but mostly you don't want to miss any visual communications with your fellow musicians. It looks good when people play with and off one another instead of being in their own world. In the zone of the groove, I like to focus on a visual point at least 10 feet straight in front of me when I play. It gives my ears a larger perspective and it's easier for me to hear the net effect of the entire band as opposed to "my drum part" When I solo, I'll close my eyes, I'm still working on that part, you tend to go into your own world when you close your eyes, not a good thing generally.

That does makes sense, I forgot about the parts where you do have to look at your guitar players and such to be able to end the song accurately and with the most feel. The communication thing I didn't think about too. I wouldn't think that looking at the audience would matter much since I usually can't get a good view of them. I like to stare at something too when I play but I sometimes get ADD when I do that. The getting lost in your own world makes sense of it not being as good as I thought it might be. It is fun to play in your own world but in a gig that wouldn't be much helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDavid View Post
I don't think I want to be blind....sorry.
Ha not really in general would I want to be blind, but they have some advantages when it comes to drumming, I think. But of course they also have disadvantages like everyone else.