Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
michael drums

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Again, no band is perfect. Not every album any band does is a total monster. Calling "HYF" so-so is an equally undeserved slam.

The reflection of Rush tunes that don't sound catchy to me is not a critique of the musicianship or drumming. It just reflects that I have yet to drive around town and have anything from S&A stick in my head like other Rush material. I have tried concentrated listening, background listening and S&A slides off me like teflon. I just can't get into it from any perspective that I try, the material just doesn't grab me.

Meanwhile, "Fly by Night" and "freewill" are songs that are cemented into memory, masterpieces that they are.
Yea, well the fact is that Rush is certainly a band of genius(not only MY opinion), and they will always be held to a VERY high standard. Their new stuff will ALWAYS be compared to what they've done in the past. And that's been the case with them as far back as I can remember.

I've gotten past comparing what they've done in the 70's/80's/90's,etc...to what they do now. and just try to listen to what the music is...TODAY. And I can appreciate the path that they've chosen to take with their specific genre.

They are NOT creatures of repetition. As a matter of fact, that's what drives them to keep recording and touring. Changing and moving on to a different direction. That's what I really respect about them.

And that's no different with what Neil tries to do. He even says that on his 2 DVDs. Always open and looking to explore something new and uncharted. Like he says, "Adding to the toolbox".

I can definitely accept your thoughts and opinions on what you like and dis-like. You have every right to feel the way you do. And, believe it or not, when someone has a difference of opinion about what Neil Peart is all about, I do process what is said/written. But it does seem to me that NP gets unwarranted critiques from some that don't really make a point to back up what they say. Comparing him to Vinnie, or Jo Jo, or Joe Schmoe. Or saying he can't play jazz. I mean, come on! That's not a point at all. Neil is a progressive rock drummer. Probably the best ever. And I don't think he's trying to be a jazz drummer, people. What? He's not allowed to get together with Cathy Rich to remember her father and get some drumming greats together to perform in memory of him? Please. :-|

I've said this before and I'll say it again...it's human nature for us to find some fault with those that are held to a higher esteem. Rush and NP have always been targets for this kind of "crosshair" critiquing.

There's only one way to go when you're at the top of your profession and some enjoy trying to chop you down for whatever reason(s).

Last edited by michael drums; 03-05-2009 at 01:13 AM.