Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
Ah, i liked the crudeness of the Rush-Hemispheres Era. There's some really good stuff in there. I Think I'm Going Bald is quite an underrated one in my opinion, as well as the first half of Before and After. (Seriously, I really want to find a way to loop that part of the song. It's so good.)

Here's a funny little story about I Think I'm Going Bald. Apparently at the time, Alex Lifeson (who had long beautiful golden tresses) was paranoid to the point of obsession about going bald. He used all sorts of hair products in the hope that it would never ever ever go away. For that reason and this, I've officially make it Alex Lifeson's theme song.

Balding blondies aside, yeah, the Rush-Hemispheres era was good. Permanent Waves I kind of set on it's own. It's the transition from Rush's first era into the second. Now Moving Pictures to Grace Under Pressure, that stuff was also good, but I think a bit too popular among Rush fans.

But Power WIndows, that's where it's at. Power Windows is quite possibly their best album IMO.

After Presto, though, I think they started heading down hill. Each album of course has its own good songs, but as a whole, each album wasn't that great. Doesn't make them bad, they just weren't Rush's best stuff.

After Presto? What about Counterparts? That was a fantastic album. Heavier and really aggressive. Maybe I like it so much because that was the first Rush concert I went to (strangely enough, the "bootleg" drum solo is on his Anatomy DVD (from the Palace of Auburn Hills, MI). That bootleg has been around for over 10 years even more strangely. Primus opened for them and the mighty Tim Alexander played Spaghetti Western for a good five minutes before Claypool and Lar came on stage. My first introduction to huge stadium sound (his amber colored Pork Pies with twin 20x20 bass drums, simply unreal.)

Anyway, sorry for that wonderful memory, but Counterparts is pretty awesome IMO.