Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 AM
trkdrmr

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I just want to say that I've never demonised the man. Just the blind followers that frustrate me. His style doesn't do it for me - that's a case of the 'soul' but I have an argument and I have stated it. All I ever get on this thread is an example of tautological non-reason from the faithful. That's why it gets heated.
I never got any "soul" from Peart... and I have listed to everything he's done. The closest thing to "groove" is mystic rhythms and body electric. I also wouldn't call Rush danceable music, and yes, I agree... his playing is on the stiff and robotic side of the spectrum.

To say he plays with soul is kind of stretching the definition. I believe the people who blindly praise are unrealistic about Neils limits and his sound. I know this may shock some fans, but yes, as much as I love Neils work...he has limits.

If someone asked me would I rather play like Peart or Coliauta, I'd opt for Vinnies abilities in a second. Vinnie could play everything Peart can, and then slip over and play megadeth, and then sit in and play big band swing or deep in the pocket. Peart stops at...Peart. His jazz sounds really rigid, like he is channeling Rush into Buddy's music. Doesn't work for me.