View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Fighting in Hockey: In or Out

I grew up at the tail end of the bench brawl era and I miss seeing them. Maybe it's the fact I'm Canadian that I'm for fighting or maybe I just enjoy watching it. It can't be denied that when a fight starts the arenas go nuts. It is a crowd pleaser and definitely wakes the fans in a quiet building. I'm sure no one at home turns off their sets either. It will be a sad day if they ever take it out. The highsticking and cheap shots are a result of too much equipment and an overall lack of respect in players now. The game still needs so-called "goons" to police the league. If Ulf Samuelon had got his ass kicked a few times he may not have ended so many careers with his cheap shots. Some of these guys that stick out their knee might think twice next time if someone came in and beat the crap out of them. If anything there should be more fighting and there maybe a little more respect among players. Remember Gretzky had his protectors and no one touched him until later in his career when they took his "goons" away.