Thread: Tony Williams
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
That's amazing, Stan, because I was exactly the same age when I started. Yep, the guys who had been around the block were the best teachers a cocky youngster could have had. Real world stuff, and every night I got to try out something new.
How do the young guys do it now? When I was a kid there were nightclubs everywhere. You played six nights a week, four sets a night. Talk about an education, man.
But we're going to have to accept that jazz will be taken however it's taken by the young guys who choose to play it. There aren't any more nightclubs, no more late-night jam sessions, all that's gone. In fact it sounds almost corny talking about it.
All I own is my own little piece of turf, and that's mine. The young guys, they're going to have to get their own, and you can be sure that they aren't going to do it the way we did.
Played drums drums since I was 9 but the jazz bug bit very hard at 18 when I first heard recordings of Elvin Jones and desired to play with other more seasoned players who knew this music far better than me at the time. Lots of jazz jam sessions back then even in my small old home town.

Agreed on your other points Jay.

You have to be happy and believe in what your doing, set a good example {musically} for others and also be willing to let the future of the music decide it's own path.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan