View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New windows apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
The average game made for Windows these days is running 400,000 to 500,000 K's and windows can't handle it. Even with a great processor and g-card w/ plenty of v-ram windows bogs down. Windows XP is only able to use 3 gigs of ram even though one might carry 4 to 6. I have heard people swear the Vista can use 16 gigs of ram. These people are literally insane. I would be happy if it acually utilizes the 8 you have in yours.
WXP x64 can actually handle more than 4 gigs of ram which i'm happy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Windows has always worked perfectly for basic applications. I'm the first to suggest someone use a Windows O.S. if they are the average computer user. I myself code... .Net, C+ etc and its a great platform to use for it. It's not that I haven't had a bad experience, its that Microsoft is notorious for exaggerating the capabilities of its platforms. Only people who know how to push the limits of computers will be able to call it out.

Right now I'm running a basic XP Media Center, 4 gig ram (it can only use 3), Pentium 4: 3.0 Ghz, 2 GeForce GT OC 8800 v-cards 512 each but it pushes more due to factory overclocking.

With that power I'm still finding serious Vsync issues. Yes I'm gaming. My monitor is refreshing at 75 H, and I don't set frames above 60. All drivers are up to date, no beta's allowed :-)

I just know that Microsoft promises something that it can't keep. I would like to see MS grow and please geeks, but thats not thier target consumer. Thier target consumer are those that will never understand what it takes to push the limits of thier O.S.

I just happen to be on the other end of that spectrum :-)
Yeah i know what you mean and sadly it's just getting worse. In the old days like the 80s and early 90s computers were basically for people in the know. They were so expensive and difficult to use you needed to really want one to buy one. As they've become cheaper and easier to use more people wanted them and obviously windows has always wanted to get more people to use their OS so they've been making newer versions steadily more patronising over the years. What i just find so irritating about Vista on these terms is this "user account control" which basically asks you before you can run any program as if it might be dangerous, even if it's made by microsoft which is just ridiculous. I've turned it off now and now i've got the shield with the cross in it as if it's actually going to destroy my computer or something.

EHs Music Facebook Page