View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New windows apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Don't get me wrong. Windows is great for web-browsing and running basic applications and I'm sure it will always be able to handle that small load of what most users do with it regardless of how bloated it gets.

If your into .NET you should know more than anyone that running anything beyond basic applications that use 100,000 K's is going to eventually lock it up. Many applications these days are using 200,000 K's and thats not even gaming. Thats basic Adobe and I.E. usage.

The average game made for Windows these days is running 400,000 to 500,000 K's and windows can't handle it. Even with a great processor and g-card w/ plenty of v-ram windows bogs down. Windows XP is only able to use 3 gigs of ram even though one might carry 4 to 6. I have heard people swear the Vista can use 16 gigs of ram. These people are literally insane. I would be happy if it acually utilizes the 8 you have in yours.

I'm sure the next version of Windows will be great for web-browsing in conjunction with IE 8 or 9 by the time it comes out and a place to store music & pics. Other than that. It will fail. But those that it will fail for are less than those it will work for. I'm speaking of geeks. :-)
On any given day I'm running a combination of Visual Studio 2008, Netbeans 6.5, Adobe tools (Flash, Photoshop, etc.) as well as MS SQL Server (w/ client tools)...and so on. I've never even come close to pegging this machine on either ram or cpu. I've also never had a BSOD or failure of any kind beyond the occasional app crashing.

I run 2gb ram on my Inspiron in my home office and run all of the same software - same thing, it's never been pegged. That laptop also has a killer graphics card and I've played games on it - though I don't do it often...it seemed fine.

Seriously...it's good software. All OSs have their flaws and as a long-time Linux geek (1997) I'll be so controversial as to say the GUI quality STILL lags far behind the Windows (or Mac) experience - even as far as it has come today.

Another positive thing I'll say about Vista - I've never been inflicted with spyware, trojans, viruses, or any other major security issue, yet. The *only* thing I can honestly complain about is the slightly slower filesystem and some of the stupid default security settings. The DRM sucks too but that's ready to fall into the dustbin of history any time now.

I'm not saying you don't have anything to complain about - they certainly could have done better after 7 years of work. BUT...I think you're exaggerating just a little or have just had a bad personal experience for some reason? Are you running it on older or unusual hardware? Maybe I got lucky four installs in a row? ;)