View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: CD cheap Vinyl expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Brown View Post
So you asked the original question in jest? I'm confused.

It seems to me that restrictionless mp3s from iTunes is a sign of planned obsolescence for CDs.
It was asked in jest from the point that it was ironic shopping for music and seeing vinyl at Best Buy for $20.00 while I've been finding $5 CD's, 50% off CD's at Virgin and 3 for $10 in clearance bins. For people who have come to like CD's, this is a feast.

I think it is somewhat silly that folks are now paying $20.00 for vinyl, esp when it is recorded in digital format. Technolgy is funny. It needs to continually change to keep the market moving. I never needed to repurchase all my music on CD, and now I am not going to repurchase all my DVD's on Blue Ray. Remember Laser Discs? I sold mine for a good buck about six months before DVD's came out.

I do not like downloads. The compression sounds like you are listening to music in a box. It is nice to know that there is a new technology that will allow for high quality, non-compressed downloads. I can see that this is moving forward because quality downloads was the hinderance to the elimination of the CD. But I still don't know that I want to listen to music through my PC, and take it on the run to listening parties.