View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: CD cheap Vinyl expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The recordings may be digital to start with, but that doesn't mean that the vinyl won't impart its own quality onto that recording. I think the CD format is starting to show its age and has been for some time. Ironically, Mp3 has actually saved it by being an even lower quality encoding, so the people who are buying Mp3 and CD don't really hear the highest-quality recordings. DVD might change this though. The quality of the mastering on some DVD's (The Incredibles comes to mind) is just phenomenal and sooner or later, the consumer is going to take note. 5.1 surround sound has been a viable option for years now and yet it has a relatively small uptake - probably due to practical considerations - but with the next generation of media formats coming to the fore, I can see the CD slowly dying as a means of distribution; partly due to the convenience of Mp3 and partly due to the quality of DVD. CD takes the middle ground there and might be squeezed out.
Yeah my personal opinion is that we're going to start having recordings in HD, by which i mean higher sampling rates. I mean you can buy soundcards for 50 nowdays that can handle 96kz and 24bit recordings. The only thing really holding it back is the size of the files but considering that 5 years ago when i built my first computer the 40gb hdd cost the same amount as you could get a 400gb hard disk today, plus the fact that the internet has improved exponentially in speed it doesn't seem too unreasonable to me that in the very near future we might start seeing albums recorded in HD and released on DVD, USB (you can already buy albums on this format) or maybe even for download. My personal opinion is that both the improvement in sample rate and bits per sample makes the music sound a lot less digitised but hey, maybe that's just me?

EHs Music Facebook Page