View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What are some Egyptian and Classical Guitar scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Actually, you can get a LOT of cool scales if you start the G harmonic minor scale on the other notes of the scale, too. My personal favorite is starting it on C:

C D Eb F# G A Bb C

I really started digging using the harmonic scale a lot a couple years ago. You can use this scale for just about anything to add an exotic flavor. As for the original post and replies, you can look up "scales" under google, and find scales that are not the 7 modes of the major scale. There are a ton out there! Good luck!
That sounds cool, but that's still Hijaz in D. You're just starting it on the C. The definining characteristic of the Phrygian dominant is a flattened second degree and a raised third degree. What you've written above shows a natural second, a flattened third and a flattened seventh, which could be a Dorian or Aeolian mode (I'm no theory expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong here). If you were playing with other people, you'd need to explain this to them to avoid confusion.

Hijaz in C would be:

C - Db - E - F - G - Ab - Bb - C

Of course, you can play any sequence of notes you like and make up "scales" of your own. But if one wants to play melodically with other people (I presume that's what the original poster was asking), one needs to stick to understood modal structures.