I'm surprised we haven't had a thread on a great topic as this, yet. Like mentioned above, Ennio Morricone's work on the spaghetti westerns was just genius. Vangelis did a great job with Bladerunner and Chariots of Fire.
My other favorites are:
- Francis Lai on Love Story
- Elia Cmiral on Ronin (a treat for us drummers)
- Marco Beltrami and Marilyn Manson on Resident Evil (esp. the theme
- Thomas Newman on The Shawshank Redemption
- Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola on The Godfather trilogy
I'm sure I'm missing some - I might just come back to this.