View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: does anyone know how to reformat an ipod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I'm glade that it helped. I also like Garage band a great deal. I'm not a computer genius by any means. I'm not afraid to try advanced things on the mac because I can get results. One year ago I did almost nothing on the computer except surf the net. Now I do everything on the computer. I go to the seminars at the Apple store from time to time and they are great. It's nice to know that there are knowledgeable people to help you at the store. You pay a lot more for a mac, but you get a lot more also.
That's just it. You don't actually have to start paying much more at the moment the way things are working out. It's another Vista bashing time, guys!

I've been thinking about this a great deal. To get Vista functionality on a laptop, over here you're going to be spending around 650-700 to get one that actually works as it should. My brother spent 800 on a desktop and Vista runs really well - but not everyone has a trust fund for their University. By the time you're spending that sort of money, you're actually getting into Mac territory. If you want a cheaper PC you have two options:

i) Get a laptop with XP pre-installed (older stock) or get hold of an old XP disk that's leftover stock.

ii) Install a version of Linux onto your laptop.

I chose option ii) last week when I left my Mac at University and it's not really an option still for a lot of average home users. I'm not a particular geek but I am a bit above average, maybe. It's taken me a week to get Wireless working (on Ubuntu 8.10) so really, I wouldn't say that it's always the most user-friendly option and that's purely because of hardware support rather than the software itself.

In conclusion? Well, I go around University and I'm starting to see a LOT more Apple computers than I used to.