View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Your music background?

My Dad played saxophone in college in the schools big band. My Mom came from a family of singers. All amateur. I took a year of piano in 2nd grade, a year of sax in the 6th grade, and then started the drums in the 8th grade and played until I graduated high school. When I was young I use to do my home work with classical music playing. I played in the band and orchestra in high school and sang for a year or two in the church
choir. My girlfriend made me. When I was real young, 4 or 5 there was a radio program called something like "March Around the Breakfast Table" I think that's where oatmeal boxes first made their appearance as drums. My only gigging experience was my first year in college when I played for a guy I taught while he went to Naval basic training, and then my last year of college when I sat in for a friend in a three piece combo playing a cocktail set wearing a Gold Lame (fabric) sport coat. Many years later I had an audition with the Baltimore Colts Marching Band, but it had been so long since I had read music that I chickened out and didn't go. Those same colts are now in Indianapolis of course. Music has always been there somewhere.