Thread: Mike Portnoy
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfm
I am not a fan of Portnoy. I find his drumming to be far too complex with no real interesting syncopations or bell work. His use of the double pedal or double bass drum in his case is boring and equal to that of metal drummers (which I dont like). I think he's too much of a show off. Plus I read an article where he openly admits to not creating any of his own material and just basically taking riffs from all of his "idols" and using them in his own work. Which put me right off him. No doubt about it, he is a good drummer. But I am of the opinion that hes a glorified bashing metalhead.
IOW: you don't like Mike because he's not exactly like the drummers that you do like. Makes sense. I think.
'
">Gasp!<... Mike needs to simplfy his playing to Meg White's level..no wait... Mike doesn't sound a thing like Zigaboo Modeliste. I know Zigaboo's style would be perfect for dream theater's music! Arggghhh.... no syncopated grooves to be found in 'metropolis' or 'as I am'.' grrr. Mike should be fired and replaced by Zigaboo or Stanton Moore..."

Psst... your POST is just glorified bashing...

Last edited by Thinshells; 12-20-2005 at 06:42 PM.