View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pat Petrillo here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
Hi Pat!
I just wanna say that I am a new fan of your mastery of the groove! I caught a couple of your drummerworld clips on YouTube and was knocked off my throne! I am an older guy (I guess) 46.. is it too late to teach this old dog any new tricks?? Are there any dvds or books you recommend that will help me develop my left (read: less dominant side) and single bass technique. I am 100% self taught and have been playing about 30 years. My meter is good, my groove is good as well. My goal is to be able to set my kit up left handed and play it like I would a right handed (normal for me) set up, as well as adding more fluidity and speed around the kit. I don't consider myself a bad drummer. I just think that I have placed limits on my playing through YEARS of incorrect technique.. any thoughts? Thanks, James Milwaukee WI.
Yamahammer

Cool handle!! Anyway, it's NEVER to late, and I think if you get my "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" DVD/Book, you will benefit from the groove ideas, play alongs. Developing the weak hand is about working both hands alternating different exercises, and that's what I cover in the Hands section. They are short and sweet and to the point, easy to learn. Here's a sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjeECMlJQk

These will help speed and fluidity around the kit as well, plus there are alot of rhythmic fills ideas for you as well.

Thanks for the kind words, and let me know how you progress.