View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Default Re: Todd Sucherman here!

2bsticks--

Thanks for the kind words, Pete! I hope you enjoy the DVD and get a lot out of it. Your feedback is always appreciated.

spleen--

Thanks again, my man. I'm happy to hear you're revisiting some "old ideas" and making use of them on the kit. It definitely does add some "density" and a slightly different dimension to somewhat standard sounding things. And those things can be useful in creating shades and fulness in general kit playing.

I just had a party at the house during PASIC and was honored to have Skip Hadden as one of my guests--and we got to play together in the drum room. It had been over 20 years! As well, I saw Ian Froman for the first time in 20 years at the MD Fest---about 5 minutes before I began my segment. A cosmic trip indeed--and it was great to catch up with him later in the day. Both were very different players and teachers, and I learned much from them. Sounds like you had positive experiences too.
Thanks again!

stillgroovin--

I talk a little bit about the bass drum in the gear section on disc 2 of the DVD. I play the 18" jazz bass drum wide open with no muffling. For the 22" I like a 6" hole in the front head with a pillow in the bass drum. For more "rock" stuff I go for punch and spike in the sound. I want clear definition, especially with more complex patterns. I don't understand guys who play arenas with big open bass drums--unless they want their bass drum to sound like a bass guitar and ring for 10 seconds with each hit. An arena (or any big room with a big PA) is already going to sound huge and reverby....so I go with an old school pillow for definition and spike.

OK. Finally home....and have a much needed month off!

Cheers-
Todd