View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss View Post
Hi, Derek! I guess you're the first voice that I should listen to as far as extreme metal drumming is concerned, so I'm just going to ask you a rather indiscreet question:
are the double bass parts of Pete Sandoval on "Opening of the Gates" by Morbid Angel and of Hellhammer on "The Chosen Legacy" sped up in the studio in your opinion? Because for me, it's hard to believe that a biologically human individual can play 32nd notes at well over 300 bpm, and that, not even with his hands, but with the feet (especially if we consider legendary mortals like yourself apparently cannot come even close to it :D)! I feel your answer on this - if it is possible and politically correct to provide one - will be as revealing as it gets.

Thanks (evil smile)!
And definitely congrats (once again) for your work! You're the real thing.

Thanks a lot for your comments

As far as who plays what on records......Well,I live that to the listener to decide. My moto is....
If it doesn't sound human.....it isn't.

That being said.... Some guys are now playing the "toe down" double stroke that Tim Waterson made popular. With this motion...you can push 16th notes from 280 and up.
HellHammer (Jan) John Longstreth are a couple of drummers who have adapted that into their playing.
Pete on the other hand plays singles only. The tempo on that song is 280.
Did he play it or not? All I can say is....
I've seen them rehearsing it and he played triplets on that part.

Hope that helps.
D.