View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
you obviously don't know steve gadd, or neil peart. haha. the thing is with gadd, he CAN play ANYTHING he wants. alothough age has taken it's part slightly, i bet gadd could do an insane vinnie solo if wanted, or a technical out there weckl solo. that's what i think people neglect. gadd plays what gadd loves, and sure it may be simple in SOME points, but if you listen closely the stuff he plays makes him both an amazing musician and drummer. and besides about .1 percent of the drummin population can exactly replicate his style. and play what he can play, that's pretty amazing to me. with neil, that's a whole different forum to post.
Don't tell me what I know or don't know, because you don't know me. This isn't about how simple or complex his playing is. I know Gadd can play anything he wants, and that he doesn't want to play Vinnie or Marco Minneman=style solos with ridiculous chops over crazy polyrhythms at blazing speeds. He doesn't play that kind of stuff, and he can't. No drummer can play EVERYTHING. He hasn't needed to play that kind of stuff, and he doesn't need to, and he never will need to. What does that mean? He plays what he needs to play with amazing feel and flavor, which to me is the realization of a great MUSICIAN on any instrument. But his technique and chops don't amaze me, pardon me for not kissing his @ss like everyone says I'm supposed to. To me, an amazing drummer, guitarist, bassist, etc. not only plays with incredible feel and flavor and plays what is needed, but also possesses the technique, control, speed, chops, accuracy and innovation which push the limits of what is believed to be possible on their instrument.