Thread: Danny Carey
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Danny Carey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therma lobsterdore View Post
Hehe nice closing line! I do love Danny, he's up there with the best no question about it...but I'd take Jojo, Chambers, Lang, Minnuemen, Donati and some others over him for the best chops and technical prowess, just my opinion though!
I'll give everyone of those guys all the credit they deserve for pushing themselves and their playing to the technical limit of the human body, but there's a different between technique and feel. Technique and chops you can learn by locking yourself in a room for 6 hours a day, 7 days a week untill you can play in your sleep. But feel comes from somewhere else. Carey has a conversation with his playing, he tells you a story. Chambers, Lang, Donati - they play incredible things, but I find it hard to find beauty in their playing. I wouldn't be moved to tears over it. I enjoy it thoroughly, but it's a different kind of drumming to Carey's. there's almost a mechanical precision in it: "look I can play a reverse parradiddle with my feet while my hands play a latin rhythm", yeah great, I'm it took you 6 months to master that, but what does that tell me?

The way I apporach my playing is that technique and chops are a means to an end. They're my drumming vocabulary which I use to express myself.