View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Todd Sucherman here!

Hey, Todd

I saw your performance at the MD Festival, and I thought your drumming was terrific. Congratulations. Being asked to play at the MD Festival is an honor that most of us will never know, and you did a nice job with it.

However, I noticed that you made reference in this thread to "moments of wackiness." In your Hudson interview, you talked about messing up a fill.

For the most part, when famous drummers log on here, the other forum members offer nothing but worshipful praise. I'm going to go against the grain in this case because I want to offer a different perspective. Honestly, I was somewhat taken aback at the MD Festival when you stopped your song mid-stream and explained that you had botched a fill. I am sure that no one except you was aware of the mistake. When you suddenly stopped performing, we were all sitting there in the audience wondering what the heck was going on.

I can understand being a perfectionist and wanting to have a pristine performance for the festival DVD...but pristine performances seldom occur in real life. Everyone from Elvin to Gadd has mistakes in their recorded history. The "wackiness" you experienced at the festival wasn't really all that unusual, except for the fact that you drew everyone's attention to it.

As I said before, I think you did a very nice job at the festival. Just keep in mind that some very young and impressionable drummers are watching you and listening to your words. It would be great if they got the message that drumming live means going with the flow, playing through our inevitable human errors, and staying focused on serving the song.

Thank you for taking in my feedback here. I wish you the best.

Last edited by MattRitter; 09-24-2008 at 09:20 PM.