Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
But Ken, you might be making my point for me.

I was agreeing with you. I think there are certain points in the evolution of an art form where what is needed musically is synthesis, guys who bring together what has come before into a cohesive whole. There are other times when innovation is needed.

I have found that often when you discuss historical ideas, even the most widely accepted, with the people who make the history happen, they have no idea what you're talking about. "Oh, was I doing that?" and even if it seems obvious that that is what they were doing, they were not aware of it. It's like asking somebody,' "Why are you a genius?" There isn't any rational basis for it, it is just the way it is for them. :)

As far as extreme drumming, yes it has it's place. But if all you work on is material that you can't apply to a given musical situation, you're wasting your time. It is the guy who can make you melt when he plays a flam, or a simple rock beat that you want to hear. It's kind of ironic, isn't it?

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 09-17-2008 at 06:14 AM.