View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Richard Wright founding member of Pink Floyd dead at 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
... Whilst he may not be as famous as Roger Waters or as well known as David Gilmour; Richard was a significant and vital part of a band whose work has touched millions - it is these memories by which we honour him the most.
Yeah, he was like George Harrison of the Beatles, who never got the attention that Lennon or McCartney got yet was a critical part of the band's sound. They would not have sounded like the Beatles that we know and love were it not for him. Same with Wright - a lot of people who recognize Pink Floyd on the radio probably don't know his name. Yet he was a critical part of Pink Floyd's sound and wrote some of their most enduring stuff. Who could imagine Pink Floyd without the keyboard and synthesizer work, or with it done differently?

Pink Floyd is regarded by many (including myself) as the best headphone band in history, and I think Wright had a lot to do with that.

"In my view, all the greatest Pink Floyd moments are the ones where he is in full flow. After all, without 'Us and Them' and 'The Great Gig In The Sky', both of which he wrote, what would 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' have been? Without his quiet touch the Album 'Wish You Were Here' would not quite have worked."

- David Gilmour