Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Neil Peart

I think it would be silly to say any of these guys "invented" these styles.....look one of my first heros was Neil Peart....he opened me up to new ideas at the time....and then Bozzio...and then Coliauta...and so on and so on...and the whole thing never ends unless you want it to.

However....all of these guys have their influences which the more you listen and learn the easier they are to hear very clearly...

Peart...had alot of Moon...Bruford etc...
Bozzio...had alot of Tony in his younger years...has alot of everything now... much of his solo material is directly related to different ( to use a very generic term) world drumming and ethnic playing....African Middle East Far East etc....
Coliauta...Tony..Steve...etc..etc...even Stewart Copeland in his playing.

Much of what we all play is originally derived from African drumming...trace it and see....the more I have studied and played african drums the more apparent that is...many of the "new" cool things I heard Bruford doing with King Crimson in the 80s were african.

It is difficult enough to put a 'new shine on an old thing'...and sometimes it does seem there is nothing new under the sun...truly. But that is how I see all drummers ( myself included) as putting a new shine on something...and finding the magic within ourselves...the "create" something new or exciting.

the same could be said for many other disciplines other than music. Much of it has been done ....and later refined.