Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
To say that early prog had any relation to bringing world ideas to the fore such as you would see in Nigeria seems problematic. Playing in 7/8, which Neil did a lot in the day, was par for the course, esp after The Mahavishnu Orchestra brought Indian rhythms to the rock mainstream. Everybody needed to prove they could play in odd meters. Steve Reich was the master at bringing these ideas into percussion music; but his relation to the rock mainstream seems tangential at best. Zappa's experiments came more from the European avant-garde, esp Varese, and Cage. it would be interesting if you see some relation in Zappa to other world music ideas, esp if these were intentional.
But Ken, you might be making my point for me. I agree with all that. I used African drumming as only one specific example. The original discussion stemmed from the idea that Peart may have actually invented some of this, as opposed to uniquely pulling it into his music. What Peart did was a good thing, but neither the music or the concept were newly created or evolutionary. I also don't see why Peart admirers wouldn't be able to see that too while understanding that people appreciate the part of this he did incorporate.After all, how is not intentionally exagerating his accomplishments while bringing up what he actually did contribute disrespect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Wasn't the opening of the bass drum that the bop drummers did a matter of practicality? As the music increased in speed they couldn't play all fours on the Bass drum. So it had ramifications in opening up the bass and opening up the harmonic implications of the piece; but I don't know that the drummers really had a part in that evolution as much as adapting to it. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
The opening of the bass drum was probably more a result of string bass evolution in jazz that came from amplification becoming more popular in the 1930s. Remember that those original jazz bands were using tubas until the string bass was able to be heard. From that came more nimble bass players who insisted on a greater piece of the action. Back in the day guys often rode the bass drum because they had to, because either the tuba was dragging, you couldn't hear the string bass, or in the case of the Benny Goodman small bands, they didn't even try to have one. Which brings us to the most copied version of all that///Gene Krupa. Fans copied that style long after it was needed because it was ///well, Gene Krupa. And you think Peart and Bonham fans are intense, go visit the Krupa board sometimes. As far as it being a tempo issue, I don't think so. Some of that KCity jam session stuff before bop was plenty fast.