View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Tim "Herb" Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
Very true. This is my favorite style of double bass. Not too many can pull it off like Herb. The full on "digadigadigadiga" has never really inspired me. Impressed me but never really made me want to sit down and try to do it like the "galloping" or "short spurts" style has. Gavin Harrison also comes to mind when I think of this type of d.b. work. Oh yeah, I was prepared to carry on this conversation with myself for as long as needed. LOL! If you ve ever seen em live, he and the band can pull off Rush pretty flawlessly. I saw them cover "La Villa Strangiato" here in Philly once, and if I didnt know any better, I would ve been fooled.
Yeah. Tim definitely has a unique style of double bass drumming. I think the thing that made me first realize that was hearing him on Sailing the Seas of Cheese. The tune "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" has this 3 note spurt on double bass that fits nicely into a groove pattern. I remember Steve Smith saying that he picked up a few things from Tim and I think this may be one of them because I've heard Steve Smith do this 3 stroke ruff very often.