Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
IMO his concert solos ARE improvisations, and are anything BUT boring.
I have two live albums and Ive seen Rush live once. I got the feeling he didnt improvise at all in his solos. I havnt studied this in any detail, so you could be right.

Peart does some inventive drumming both on songs and in his solos, and some songs I really like a lot. But for me it feels like he cant think outside the box. I cant even imagine him emulating Zigaboo, Garibaldi, Gadd or Stubblefield. Even the simplest groove. Either he's not into that music or he doesnt get it.

Dont get me wrong; hes probably the best drummer of prog rock, but I cant stop feeling like there is something missing. Maybe simply because Im not into prog rock anymore.

Quote:
Just because Neil Peart shows that he is serious about his playing, and has a look of concentration that looks like he isn't having fun, I can assure you, that couldn't be further from the truth.
Sorry I shouldnt have been so harsh. I realise that some drummers are more about performance. Again, its not my style, but I have to respect it.

Quote:
And why is it a bad thing to play every fill exactly like the albums? I'll NEVER understand why some have a problem with that. :-| Doesn't that show precision in his playing? His dedication to his craft? What makes him who he is?.
It surely shows who he is. He is all about that. And thats an admirable skill. But come on, he's got to be able to improve and improvise on songs that he wrote 20 years ago. Where is his progress as a musician? He could probably play Tom Sawyer in his sleep. I would love to hear that song with brand new fills, not that the original fills are bad.

Quote:
I personally think he did a very respectable performance of Cottontail, with a sweet solo along with it.?.
I wouldnt say he sucks, but pretty close to it. Have you watched the clip? The phrasing, the timing, the dynamics. Where is it?

Quote:
And as far as his lyrical inspiration from Ayn Rand, it's been years since he's written any AR inspired lyrics. It's not like he's obsessed with Rand. A lot of lyricists are inspired by writers and authors, aren't they?
Yea youre right. Sorry for mentioning it.

Quote:
Anyway...Welcome to DW. ;-)
Thanks man! :-)