View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Default Re: It's official...you don't need to read music

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Another classic example of whinging Middle England. In perspective, GCSEs are about the testing of the basics in whatever subject. A pupil who has a real desire to study music (and be able to read it) is going to choose to carry on studying at A-level. Then things get tougher.
I'm from up North actually! and I agree with the sentiments of the article. The basics of music have to include basic notation. To compare it would be like doing a French GCSE and saying that writing and reading french wasn't important or doing a maths GCSE and saying that equations were not important. When I did my GCSE I had to perform, sight read and sing intervals...was it important to me..NO, but I can now understand what music is and how it works. Any pupil who has the desire to study music should be studying notation (amongst many other fascinating musical facets) at GCSE so that when they get to A(dvanced) level they can do more advanced stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I did Music GCSE, earned an A
Well done you!

Quote:
Most musicians can't read music; that doesn't mean that the best musicians necessarily read music.
I'd like to know where you get that fact from.

Quote:
The syllabus for GCSE Music is actually pretty good. It's a well balanced and most importantly, enjoyable course if taught well. If you can capture a student's imagination; that's the first step towards success in any field.
And it still could be even with the inclusion of some music notation. Yes, capturing imagination is one thing, and a very good thing in itself, but the GCSE is an academic test rather than a merit badge given out for becoming interested. IMHO that is the problem with a lot of academic study in the UK. The level has been so dumbed down (no offense meant to my fellow contributers) so as to help prove Government statistics that the original purpose has been forgotten i.e. to educate people.

I don't say that to be a musician you 'have' to read music, clearly there are lots of examples that would disprove my argument but to pass a test in your knowledge of music and music theory without having to read or write a note seems a tad at odds with the objective.

Rant over...normal service resumed.