View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Help with speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
When I play along to music, I use a mix of headphones and speakers. But I like the speakers to be clearly audible over the natural volume of the drums. I have a 200 watt receiver which is supplied by my computer.

As of today, I have pretty much blown every set of speakers I have ran through this system. 200 watts is really not that powerful, but I guess after being played for 2-4 hours at a time, at full volume, has shown to be too much for what I have used. I have tried high-end Bose, low end MTX and too many others to recall. I always make sure that what I run can handle my receiver's output, and have asked the guys from Best Buy for help, to no luck.

So I need some help here. I always buy speakers with a return- warrantee, as I have come to expect them to blow out and be returned eventually. Should I stick with normal non-powered speakers, or should I look into some lower end, "powered" moniter or P.A. type deal?

I m not looking for crystal clear, top of the line clarity. I just want a set that will be able to handle a few hours of loud music without shutting off to "cool down" or blowing out after 2-3 months of heavy use.
This doesn't answer your question exactly but it may help. If your kit is mic'd up you can use in ear 'earbud' type headphones and then wear workman style ear defenders over the top. You can then mix the mic'd drums and music you're jamming to in the headphones.

I've used this method for recording and it means you have much more control over the volume you are subjecting your ears to.
http://www.trippywicked.com