Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Peart got me interested in playing music again, after a long time. His lyrics also were what lead me to better understanding my own philosophy in life. That said, I'll comment on some of the previous posts and then summarize my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
thats why i dislike him, its like why would you want to go to a concert and listen to the SAME thing you would hear on the CD, i dunno, its kinda boring.
You definitely do not hear the exact same thing as on the CD. Rush improvises, they just don't mess with their songs (with the exception of Alex, who changes his solos). They jazz up song beginnings and endings, bridge songs etc. Also, the energy they play with when live makes for an incredibly different experience when compared with the crystal clear, laboratory grade precision of most of their recordings.

If you had seen "Natural Science" as it was performed in São Paulo, you would understand what I mean.

The crux of the matter is this: Peart is a perfectionist. His drum parts are crafted for perfection, in content, expression and execution. I am quite sure that he would consider any "changed" version he could play live as worse than the original. Unlike most of the bands out there, Rush sogns are a cohesive engineered whole - you can't change something and make it better (or as good) just like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Are they serious? What horrible lyrics under the pretense of genius. Cutesy word play should be left to popular country music.
It is genius, you just didn't understand. I'll have to refer you to the philosophy of Ayn Rand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
If I sound like a disgrunted Rush fan, that's because I am. Everything up to about 1985 was so good, and its all been horrifying since.
Show don't tell, Dreamline, Bravado (one of the top 5 Rush songs in my opinion, which is saying a lot), Animate, Leave that thing alone are all excellent. I do agree that most of the best material is in the period up to Grace Under Pressure. Horrifying is taking it way too far. The only CD I don't play frequently is Test for Echo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzman
I'm probably going to be castrated for what I'm about to say, but I've been finding Neil's drum solo's repetetive and boring as of late too.
Me too! To be honest, the "A Show of Hands" version was so good, I'm sad he changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
Neil never struck me as any more of an ego maniac more than any other extremely excellent world-reknown drummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davodi74
Neil Peart is a humble person.
If being humble means acting as or beleiving you are less good than you are, I can assure you Peart is nothing of the sort. Peart is an Objectivist, which is clear from his lyrics. This philosophy is based on strict adherence to reality, with no softening or accomodating. He is most likely very aware of how good he is, and acts accordingly.

Being the best at something and proud of it does not make you a bad person.

I agree entirely with your post Sabian_Dragon. Peart does not write a drum part to be played along with a song, he writes part of the song itself. The drumming in Rush's songs is as essential as the guitar riffs or bass line.

While this means that Peart's drum parts are not constant exercises in virtuosism, it actually makes him a better drummer. In my opinion, the best.

mrocktor