View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Re: The type of sellers to avoid on eBay - in regards to buying drum gear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I prefer someone that does not know what they have.
My preference as well. I have bought, and sold, a ton of stuff on eBay and as a buyer I feel far more comfortable buying drum related items from someone who couldn't make up a convincing "story" about a particular drum or other drum related item than those that can. I've been burned far more by sellers who have knowledge of the topic at hand than I have by those that are too ignorant to make up a story about whatever it is they are selling. Also, there are very few sellers out there that truly know what they are selling and then there are those that do but make things up, which only adds to the confusion, in general, when it comes to Vintage Drums.

I called one seller, who owns a Vintage Drum Shop and claims to be an expert, on the fact that the 1960's NOS Original Ludwig Snare Wires that he had listed couldn't have been older than the early 80's since they had the slots for the plastic straps on the ends. His response was that Ludwig did a lot of "goofy stuff" back in the day and couldn't this be one of them? I responded by saying that if by "goofy stuff" he meant predicting the future need of something by over 10 years then I guess he was right. His response wasn't fit to print and he was still stickin' to his story, not to mention his auction where he sold some poor sucker those new Snare Wires for twice the price they could have picked them up if they would have only known what they were looking at.........

LVDC