Thread: Lenny White
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Lenny White

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Lenny White simply is "one of the greatest". Just got back from seeing RTF tonight. His Istanbul cymbals sounded killer. His Innovation drums slammed. 2 racks, 3 floors. Floor toms sounded massive. My guess is 12 and 13 racks, 14, 16, 18 floors. His web site still lists his cymbals as Zildjian, but indeed, he's flying all Istanbul. His open handed playing style just makes his playing look so effortless. Basically, he did 2 solo's. Both short, and both intense. I never want to sit thru another Peart/Portnoy "arena rock" drum solo again. Been there and done that 10 times (at least). Lenny is fast and fluid. Single kick, single pedal. In his second solo, he brought a snare roll down to and below a whisper, dropped that, and what remained was the faint sound of his right foot rolling on his kick. Then the camera dudes put the action on the 2 big monitor screens, left and right of the stage. 1 beater moving so fast it was just a blur. Then, to add insult to injury, he brought the volume up. Game over. A simply magical night.

I just saw this concert last Saturday the 21st in Sterling Hts Michigan.

Lenny was really great, I'd say he is more of a pocket player now them when he was with WP and the Jaco days. But his ride cymbal work is among the best in the biz! His drum tone was very good and his cymbals did sound amazing considering the sound guy really sucked! Poor Stanley Clark got screwed bigtime! Al Demeola was really agitated and left the stage quite a bit to talk with the techs and stage sound guys, I think he was upset too. I happended to sit right behind the board and the sound guy didn't touch the EQ once. Stanley's slap tone was all treble and his upright was peaking an farting out quite a bit. Considering the junior varsity sound guy Lenny's kit sounded great! The concert was really good..would have been amazing if the sound guy wasn't a hack! Sorry I am very upset, I had a chance to see some of the best in the biz and my expierience was a little dampened by the hack sound guy. I understand they may be very difficult to mix, but like I said I never saw the sound guy EQ anything one time, he just adjusted volumes. Anyway (rant off) Lenny was a pleasure to see play live and I would second everything harryconway had to say.