View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Favorite Bass Players

I really dig Paul Jackson actually - he's such a spot on bassist and grooves like hell. You gotta love Bootsy as well - especially his stuff with James Brown like Superbad and Sex Machine of course.

As for jazz - I think Ron Carter is just the most beautiful bassist and Gingerbread Boy of Miles Smiles has the most awesome bass at the end where it's just him and Tony..
Paul Chambers just had groove and I think he was quite ahead of his time and the same goes for Jimmy Garrison - especially with his soloing with the pauses in his phrasing and such..

Interestingly I read an interview with Ron Carter on the net once and he was talking about playing with Elvin (on The Real McCoy) and said it took Elvin a while to get used to him as Elvin was very headstrong and so was Ron, which lead him to say that Garrison wasn't that authoritive (in comparison to him anyway). It made me think actually - anyone agree or disagree with Ron?

Oo - just found the interview: http://thebadplus.typepad.com/dothem...iew_with_.html