View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 PM

Default Re: How to Start a Band

CC,

I would try and strike a different tone in your email.

I think it's almost always a bad idea mention money arrangements up front. The first step is to get people excited to play with you. A future and important step, once they are, is to work out the financials.

Also, the number of hours of rehearsal's per week is directly related to how excited people are with the situation. If the vibe is right, you'll have no problems getting them that often. However, I personally would never commit to a rehearsal schedule before jamming for the first time.

I said it in a previous email, but it bears repeating: plan it all out in your head, but take it one step at a time.

Here's what I would suggest:

You are not looking for random cats, as your email implies. You already know who you want to play with!! Call them, or email them directly and say something along the lines of: "I've been thinking a lot, and have a great vision for a band. I'm trying to organize a quintet of top players, and your name popped immediately into my head. I haven't got definite commitments from everybody yet, but I think if the musicians I'm thinking of got together in a room and started jamming, we'd see that the vibe would be right. . . . You have any interest? . . . what are your good days for the initial get together, I'm really excited about this, so the sooner the better"

That's just some ideas. You could also drop things like, your favorite players or groups. "Love the jazz messengers or Miles' 50s quintet with Coltrane." or "I want to play a good mix of standards, but am open to new material as well, and I definitely want to play out"

The key point: get them excited about the MUSIC and the rehearsals and everything else will fall into place.

eric