View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM

Default Re: How to Start a Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmiles View Post
The point I was trying to make was that you shouldn't get discouraged if you have some trouble when you get going. It doesn't matter how good you are now, and you sound like you can probably swing it hard, everyone gets smacked around at first, or soon enough.

Keep us posted on your progress, and post some material when you get it together. I'm always looking to hear some great new music!!!!!
:) Point taken! I think I maybe misunderstood your original statement... I totally agree that being a youngster, I'll learn things the hard way, and that part of growing up and getting better at anything (not to mention music) is, quite simply, failing. And I've definitely got more of that ahead of me that older musicians, simply by nature of humanity.

And yes, I'm planning on purchasing several condensers and a audio-buddy mixer box, and using it to record all our rehearsals, assuming we actually get together. So if everything works out... we'll have plenty of recordings, and I'll definitely post some here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
What's your plan for this band? You've got to have a plan, an idea you can articulate to the guys you want to play with.

Get an agenda and organize your players. Get the charts together. Make it as professional as you can. That, to me, is the fun of it. Doing it right is the fun of it.
Best of luck to you.
I do have SOMETHING of a plan, although that's part of the reason I posted here. Most of the conversation, thusfar, has been me showing off and affirming good advice (I AM only a teenager, after all... just kidding ;)). What I'm really looking for is ideas, spoken from experience, on how to best attract/organize musicians. I have an idea of who I'd like in the group, but I'm not sure how to make it more than a casual "jam session", because we've had plenty of those, and I seem to be the only one who's thinking of making it more...

And, of course, there's always this: pianists and saxes can get their own gigs, and my friends DO get gigs, but drummers... they need a band. So I'm in a bit of a - a pickle, you could say... :)