View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Default Re: How to Start a Band

CC,

I stand corrected . . . almost.

Don't worry for a sec about what some random guy on the internet says (namely me). I can tell by your posts that you have the FIRE. Nobody can stamp that out but yourself, and that seems unlikely.

When you are in school, you get compared to other cats in school, but when you leave school, you get compared to everybody. It's certainly a big deal to play Carnegie Hall in 5th grade. But just this evening I was staring at two Carnegie hall posters (I live in NYC). One night was Mos Def with a big band, and the other was Herbie Hancock, Vinnie C. on drums.

The point I was trying to make was that you shouldn't get discouraged if you have some trouble when you get going. It doesn't matter how good you are now, and you sound like you can probably swing it hard, everyone gets smacked around at first, or soon enough.

I like a good argument. I'm from New Yawk after all!

There are always exceptions (Tony Williams, cough cough) , but no, high schoolers are in general not as good musicians as older cats. you simply don't have enough years on earth yet. However, that is not saying that there is a limit on you or your potential, those are infinite. That's a different thing entirely.

Keep us posted on your progress, and post some material when you get it together. I'm always looking to hear some great new music!!!!!

eric