Thread: Tony Williams
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tony Williams

Bump.

So lately I've been obsessing over Tony. After reading about how he at a young age tried to imitate his idols as closely as he could, I decided I would try imitating Tony's playing style. Just starting with the "basics"... It is really something to try holding the drumsticks like Tony did. As soon as you understand his technique in regards to holding the drumsticks, you can feel this immense control over your playing.

I've been trying to work up my chops playing like Tony. More specifically, holding with the back two fingers near the very butt end and using the whole arm while playing. It's kind of interesting how his technique didn't rely on rebound. In that way Tony was very exact and precise. I've begun to fall in love with his playing style.

It's a shame how difficult it is to find Tony's records for sale over the internet. The best I can find for the majority of his solo work are used copies going for ridiculous prices because of their rarity.