Thread: John Bonham
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrider View Post
Hey Ian,

I agree that it's a fool's game to predict what "could have happened". John Bonham was both very talented and creative. He probably would have continued to grow and improve.

However, he may not have been as self-confident as you think. According to Robert Plant quoted here: http://www.drummagazine.com/images/b...am-traps07.pdf, John was not feeling very confident in his abilities. Plant quotes John, on the day before his death, as saying: ďIíve had it with playing drums. Everybody plays better than me. Iíll tell you what, when we get to the rehearsal, you play the drums and Iíll sing."

Apparently, even the very best doubt their abilities.

He is truly missed!
Well, it's also quite likely he was drunk off his gourd. That is how he died, remember. I've been really drunk (I don't drink anymore) in the past, and made similar ridiculous statements.

But whatever. His life beyond 1980 was not meant to be. We need to understand the consequences of drug/alcohol abuse as the most important lesson we could ever learn from that man... even more important than his drumming, imo.