View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Funky View Post
I agree with you there. He's a bit overrated compared to other drummers I'm hearing out there these days. But indeed, he's got the groove, and I can admire him for that.

I suppose the beautiful thing about Mr. Gadd's playing is the way he can make simple rudiments sound so good, but I wouldn't put him in the same category of chops as, say, Thomas Lang or Virgil Donati.
If only I could be as tolerant as Jonescrusher - and as diplomatic as Aydee! While gritting my teeth and understanding that all opinions are valid (maybe) and by being as generous as I can be, I guess it all boils down to what you perceive are the important attributes to being a drummer. If you were a producer, hiring for a session who would you call? Thousands of producers agree - call Gadd. Whether or not Virgil or Lang have some chops that Gadd doesn't have is completely irrelevant and may or may not be true.

Very gracious of you, by the way, to reduce Gadd's legacy and contribution to music to his ability to play simple rudiments well.

You really should listen much more to his body of work before coming to such specious conclusions.

Paul