I like Joe Satriani / Steve Vai. Although I'm not sure I'd say they play a lot of "riffs"....
Top 25 riffs: modern rockers 'can't make great guitar riffs'
When it comes to rock classics, it seems they just don't make them like they used to.
Just seven songs penned in the last two decades have made it on to a list of the greatest guitar riffs of all time.
Chosen by students from London music schools, the top 25 is dominated by "middle-aged" guitar riffs from more than 20 years ago, including Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix (1967), My Generation by The Who (1965) and Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor (1982).
British rock band Deep Purple top the list with their 1973 hit Smoke on the Water.
Among the more recent riffs is Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit (1991), in second place, and Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine (1992) in 16th.
The Red Hot Chilli Peppers have two entries, Under The Bridge (1992) at 9 and Give it Away (1991) at 21.
However, not one song written since 2003 made the short list.
John Wheatcroft, spokesman for music school Guitar-X, which commissioned the poll, said the lack of modern rock music in the list didn't spell disaster for the next generation of guitar heros.
A lot of the choices were based on nostalgia, he said.
"It's possible that you have to wait until the dust settles before we can truly consider a riff's eligibility for classic status.
"Today, there are undoubtedly loads of fantastic artists that continue to feature the electric guitar as the prominent feature of their sound."
Songs by American writers claimed the majority of places in the top 25, but seven of the songs on the list were written by British artists.
Top 25 guitar riffs of all time - click the song to play the video
1. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple (1973)
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991)
3. Walk This Way - Aerosmith (1975)
4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix (1967)
5. Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N Roses (1987)
6. Paradise City - Guns N Roses (1987)
7. Ace Of Spades - Motorhead (1980)
8. Enter Sandman - Metallica (1991)
9. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1992)
10. Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N Roses (1987)
11. Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)
12. Walk - Pantera (1992)
13. Johnny Be Goode - Chuck Berry (1958)
14. Back In Black - AC/DC (1980)
15. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (1970)
16. Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine (1992)
17. Highway to Hell - AC/DC (1979)
18. My Generation - The Who (1965)
19. 7 Nation Army - The White Stripes (2003)
20. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf (1968)
21. Give It Away - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1991)
22. Paranoid - Black Sabbath (1970)
23. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix (1967)
24. Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor (1982)
25. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits (1984)