Hi all. Phil Maturano writing to you.
I am putting out the feelers to get opinions about an idea I have. Since reading all the posts over the last months here, I noticed there are many topics that are discussed over and over. So in response to this need, I am organizing a full day intensive seminar.
These are workshops that I have given in Europe extensively. Drummers of many different levels enjoy them very much. An intensive event involves a 5 hour seminar. It will cover a range of topics assembled to some degree according to the level of players that attend. (yes there will be breaks and not 5 hours straight) And there will be a limit to the amount of players at the event.
IN general the topics are.
Jazz (independence and phrasing)
Latin (styles concept / independence and phrasing)
Contemporary Drumset Independence and styles (Rock and Funk - Inner clock studies)
Learning how to Practice
Yes, it takes one hour to teach someone how to practice. It is involved and is its own separate skill. There is a full on method to this which you will receive as print outs. Including the central concept, analysis and breakdown of subject matter, scheduling and mental preparation.
The seminar will be held in the NY area. I am going to work out exactly where and any suggestions you might have are welcome. Usually in a rehearsal studio. (Most likely here in Manhattan.)
The event will be a combination of "information / discovery" and "hands on". In other words, participants will be playing as much as possible instead of purely watching in order to receive proper evaluation. You must be prepared to play in one of the following situations.
A) To tracks with charts on kit
B) With me on percussion and you on kit
C) On pads and snare drums.
What you will take home to continue your work from the event.
1)"Working the Inner clock"
2) "Latin soloing for the drumset"
3) Available tracks from my new book "Inner clock 2" along with the workbook and charts
4) Full version of PDF files from my DVD " Afro cuban Drumming"
5) The full practice method.
The cost $75.00 US per person. If you are coming from Europe it will also be dollars not Euro.
Date - potential date is May 4rth.
If you would like to talk about attending and any other suggestion or question, please write me
There is a very good chance that Pat Petrillo will also be involved in the event so it would be the both of us doing the seminar. Dividing the subjects. I am not 100% sure yet though, I am discussing Pats schedule and availability.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses
PS Here is some information about me. And a breakdown and timetable of parts of the event
Clinics and Seminars
Phil's Instructional books have allowed him the opportunity to reach thousands of drummers students and professionals alike, with enthusiastic response. As a clinician, Phil has taught and performed at the most prestigious drum institutions and venues:
• Drummers Collective - N.Y.
• Drum-teck - London
• 2007 Europe clinic tour, Germany, Netherlands, UK.
• Meinl Drum Festival - Gutenstetten, Germany.
• The Music Institute - London
• Drummers Focus - Munich Germany
• ACM Guildford - UK
• Masstricht conservatory - Netherlands
• Rigas Ritmi Music Festival - Riga, Latvia.
• 10th, 11th, and 12th Annual Drummers meeting - Salzgitter, Germany
• Arnhem Conservatory - Netherlands
• The Las Vegas Percussion Camp/UNLV - USA
• Drums Only with Vinnie Colaiuta in shorndorf, Germany
• Ed Thigpen and Steve Houghton - at WND Jazz Spezial
• Drummers Institute - Dusseldorf Germany
• Escola Civica - Milan, Italy
• Guitar Center - U.S. circuit - Featured
• M.U.G. Music House - Gothenburg, Sweden
• Zurich Latin Music - Zurich, Switzerland...as well as many
others in Austria, France, Spain and South America
(July 2008) include Germany - Marktoberdorf week long intensive with Steve Smith, Richie Garcia, Rene Creemers, Hakim Ludin, and other great drummers from Europe.
Clinics are based on material from my books as well as from my new DVD "Afro Cuban Drumming - An overview for the Drumset"
Part 1 / Working the Inner Clock
The concept of this book is explored by working on a series of exercises. The exercises are contained within contemporary song formats and are worked on by using a play along CD and Charts. Their purpose is to allow players to expand their "Inner clock" by attacking specific subdivisions and figures.
While analyzing the "ebb and flow" effects on music by subdivisions, we can internalize phrases and increase our sense of "time" by becoming fully aware of these properties of rhythm, in the body and mind. Clinic participants are encouraged to be a part of the activities. They are called up to play at random. Their performance is analyzed and if necessary the player is given adjustments and tips to continue on.
Schedule: Hour 1
2) Phil performs songs from book
3) Explanation of inner clock theory
4) "Inner clock" workout with audience
5) Clinic Participants called up to play
6) Critique session with audience participation
7) Phil Closes performing song from the book
Part 2 / "Latin Soloing for the Drumset" - "Afro Cuban drumming"
This presentation focuses on a concept from the book called "RTS". (Relayed time shifting). A system designed to decode the phrasing of African descent music. Through the use of RTS players are taken through a variety of styles (Afro Cuban / Brazilian etc) and are given a totally unique insight into how this music is played with an authentic feel. This concept is the only one that combines the ancient and mystical rhythms of the past, with their modern day counterparts. Finally giving drummers a system to achieve a mastery of this most intense and elusive genre of drumming.
Schedule: Hour 2
2) Open Solos - Batucada, Soca, Afro Cuban, Cumbia, Malambo, Funk, Straight ahead.
3) Exploration of RTS concept
4) Played examples from book
5) Construction of an afro Cuban based drum solo
7) Working with percussionists in a rhythm section
6) Open solo with left foot clave